Sunday, January 3, 2010

White Flags for a New Year...

Well, another year is upon us. Personally, I love the start of a new year. Every year I make a resolution to change something about my life, typically something to do with health or habits. What about you? Do you make these resolutions? Year after year we make these little promises to ourselves... these resolutions... that this year, this year, things will be different, this year things are going to change. And some years we keep those promises, we make those changes. But most of the time we don’t. We might start out strong and with the best intentions of seeing it through, but eventually we lose steam and fall back into our old habits. And the cycle continues... “next year, next year things will be different, next year things are going to change.” So why does this happen? Will- power and self-control (or lack thereof) certainly play a part, but I think the problem lies in our refusal to surrender. Part of us still wants to hang on to what we resolve to let go. I think this also applies to the resolutions we make with our faith life. We say things like, “This year I’ll read the Bible more”... “I’ll pray more”... “I’ll get involved with church”... “I’ll take my relationship with Christ seriously.” And for any number of reasons, we break that promise we made to ourselves.

I heard a song a few weeks ago called “Lay Your Weapons Down” by Brand New Shadows (click here to check out the video). The last verse of the song goes like this...

It’s been a year I’d rather not remember

But the memory’s where the answer’s found

I know you see my white flag waving

Would you please lay your weapons down?

Hearing that song got me thinking about the concept of surrendering. We often think of “surrender” as a negative thing... like a sign of weakness or giving up. But true surrender is not a “giving up” but rather a “letting go.” When we surrender to God, we’re letting go of the things that hold us back and keep us from a right relationship with Him. Maybe it’s been a year you’d rather not remember. Maybe it’s been one filled with heartache, pain, or disappointment. If so, wave your white flag, surrender, let go and let God take over. Now, I’ll admit, that is much easier said than done. Pain is real, hurt hurts, and scars constantly remind us of the battles we’ve fought. But we have a God who is so much bigger than anything the world throws at us. In the Bible we hear Jesus say, “Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows, but take heart, because I have overcome the world” (John 16:33, NLT). Why do we so often break our promises, our resolutions? Because we rely on ourselves to make the change. So this year, instead fighting those battles alone, wave your white flag of surrender and ask God to step in and create real change, real transformation in your life. After all, God has promised to be with us and sustain and that is one promise that will not be broken.

I’ll leave you with a word of encouragement and hope in the promise of renewal. “...God’s home is now with His people. He will live with them, and they will be His own. Yes, God will make His home among His people. He will wipe all tears from their eyes, and there will be no more death, suffering, crying, or pain. These things of the past are gone forever... I am making everything new. Write down what I have said. My words are true and can be trusted.” (Revelation 21:3-5, CEV). Happy New Year!

0 comments: